National poll shows charter teachers have highest job satisfaction, but frustration high across the board

Dan Quisenberry
Oct 4, 2023 11:35:32 AM

“Listen to Your Teacher: An Analysis of Teacher Sentiment on the State of Public Education” is a new report based on results of a national survey of more than 1,200 public school teachers, both district and charter, conducted by The Harris Poll and commissioned by the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.

The survey examined teachers’ experiences and opinions to learn more about their motivations for entering, staying in, or leaving the classroom, as well as the challenges they believe the American public education system is facing. Results revealed similarities for all teachers in public schools as well as interesting findings unique to charter school teachers.

Next to parents, teachers are the backbone of education. It is valuable to have insight into how they feel in today’s climate and find out how we can better support their heroic work in and outside the classroom. Although we certainly have a special interest in charter school teachers, we care deeply about the experience of all public school teachers,” says Nina Rees, President and CEO of the National Alliance for Public Charter Schools.   

Key data from the survey indicate the following trends:

  • Teachers Agree Families and Students Should Have Education Choice: About 4 in 5 teachers agree that regardless of its politicized nature, public school choice is important for both families and teachers (79% of all public school teachers; 87% of charter school teachers and 78% of district school teachers) and more than two-thirds agree that having more than one type of public school option is a good thing (69% of all public school teachers; 90% of charter school teachers and 67% of district school teachers).
  • Something Has to Change: Public school teachers cite student behavior and discipline issues (74%) as the top challenge they believe teachers currently face, followed by pay (65%). Eighty-four percent of all the teachers we surveyed agree that student mental health is at an all-time low. Three out of four teachers (75%) feel they are often asked or required to do things outside of their teaching purview, and they estimate they spend, on average, about 17% of their workday supporting their students’ mental or physical well-being and 23% on classroom management—for a total of 40% of time spent on these non-instructional activities.
  • There’s Something Special About the Experience of Charter School Teachers: Eighty percent of charter school teachers say they are as or more motivated than when they initially entered the profession (vs. 34% among district teachers), whereas 66% of district teachers report feeling less motivated now than before (vs. 20% of charter teachers). Aligning with Culture: A full 96% of charter school teachers report feeling aligned with their current school’s culture in terms of values and beliefs about education. Only 75% of district school teachers feel this way.
  • Keep Politics Out of the Classroom: Teachers say they just want to teach (94%) and report feeling like they are caught in the crossfire of a culture war (91%). Teachers overwhelmingly feel politicians and decision-makers should listen more to students, families, and teachers (97%).
  • Teaching Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: Nearly two-fifths (39%) of public school teachers have either seriously considered leaving the profession in the past or are planning to do so by the end of the year.
  • Money Matters, But So Does Having a Voice: Nearly all public school teachers (97%) wish decision-makers would listen to teachers’ opinions and perspectives, and almost half of them (48%) think having a less bureaucratic, or top-down, education system would help. What teachers say they need goes beyond compensation and being included in the conversation, however. They also want access to a more holistic kind of support. Given the numerous responsibilities teachers have to shoulder in the classroom, especially those related to student wellbeing, it is perhaps not surprising that nearly 1 in 2 public school teachers (48%) want greater access to counseling for themselves. Currently, only about a third (31%) of teachers seem to have access to mental health support.

Subscribe by Email

No Comments Yet

Let us know what you think